First-Year Fellow Research Goals & Objectives
- The fellows receive didactic training in research essentials. This is an annual requirement of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology. The objective is to review IRB and FDA requirements for prospective and retrospective research studies and ensure compliance.
- The Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine holds a weekly research meeting where fellows both present their research ideas and interact with other scientists, both within and outside of the field of MFM. The objective is to form early collaborations and foster ideas for collaborative and translational research. Opportunities for structured basic laboratory and/or clinical research are reviewed at this meeting.
- The fellows receive a didactic session on NIH, industry, and other sources of funding with the objective of understanding how to obtain research funding.
- The fellow is expected to have identified their thesis topic by the end of the year, working closely with an assigned research mentor.
Second-Year Fellow Research Goals & Objectives
The objectives are the same as for the PGY5 year, but include the following:
- The fellow is expected to submit an abstract to a national meeting.
- The fellow will take formal coursework in epidemiology and/or statistics. This can be completed as a PGY6 or PGY7.
- Promotion of the fellows’ academic contributions to the respective subspecialty will occur through presentations at local, regional, and national meetings.
- Enhancement of opportunities for the fellows to obtain research funding and academic positions through local and national lectures and conferences designed to enrich their knowledge in these areas.
- Furthering the ability of the fellow to be an independent investigator through sessions with their research mentor. The fellow is asked to develop new hypotheses and answer the question, “What is the next step in this research?”
Third-Year Fellow Research Goals & Objectives
The objectives are the same as for the PGY6 year, but include the following:
- The fellow is expected to present at a national meeting in this year if they have not yet done so.
- Completion of the thesis and development of the manuscript
- Promotion of the fellows’ academic contributions to the respective subspecialty by publications and presentations.