Services & Procedures
We deliver approximately 3,800 babies each year at CUMC’s uptown location and about 2,500 more at the Allen Hospital (located at the tip of Manhattan). For Westchester, the Division of OB/GYN at NYP/Lawerence Hospital and ColumbiaDoctors Scarsdale have partnered with NYP/Lawrence Hospital to provide services for our patients’ delivery needs. We offer a high-risk consultation services, and patient education programs. The benefits of giving birth at NewYork Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia University Medical Center (NYP-CUMC) include:
Obstetrical services for both low and high risk pregnancies– We have more than 80 obstetricians, at NYP-CUMC, many of whom are board certified in subspecialties in addition to OB/GYN. This depth of expertise ensures that you will find a physician compatible with your personal preferences, clinical needs, and insurance requirements.
Coordinated services for high-risk babies— The Carmen and John Thain Center for Prenatal Pediatrics brings together teams of multidisciplinary experts to diagnose, manage, and treat pregnancies complicated by multiple births and fetal genetic or developmental abnormalities. We have more than 20 maternal fetal medicine (MFM) specialists who consult with pediatric neonatal experts to develop diagnostic, treatment, and care plans to optimize a baby’s health outcome.
Coordinated services for high-risk mothers—Our MFM specialists implement individualized care and treatment plans for pregnancy complications that affect the mother’s health. Complications may develop during pregnancy, or may be related to pre-existing health conditions. Multidisciplinary teams of experts collaborate to manage care to ensure the best outcomes for mothers and their babies.
24 Hour Obstetrical Anesthesiology and Pain Relief– In addition to experience in general anesthesiology, our obstetrical anesthesiologists are specially trained in obstetrical care. They provide services on the labor floor around the clock, responding as soon as the patient and physician need to make adjustments in pain management.
A Labor Facility for Our Westchester Patients
– We deliver at NYP/Lawrence Hospital, located in the Bronxville location of lower Westchester and offer a high-risk consultation services and patient education programs. Take a virtual tour of the facility.
Neonatal Care Unit– Should your newborn need special care, you can feel confident that your baby will receive the best care available in NYP/CUMC’s the nationally-recognized Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital of New York (MSCHONY). The Carmen and John Thain Labor and Delivery Unit Labor and Delivery (L&D) Unit is located in this state-of-the-art facility. MSCHONY’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) has been recognized as one of the finest in the country. A transitional nursery is located right on the L&D floor and is staffed by the same renowned neonatal team that provides care in the main NICU unit.
Advanced technology for high-risk patients– Should you or your baby develop a high-risk condition, we have the diagnostic and monitoring capabilities to handle the requirements of maternal-fetal intensive care. In addition to spacious labor and delivery rooms, several beds are dedicated exclusively to patients who require high-risk monitoring. We have state of the art operating rooms are equipped to handle any contingency.
Nursing Excellence– The nurses in the Thain Labor Unit have specialized training and experience in high risk obstetrical care. Each one is a Registered Nurse, with expertise certification in fetal monitoring and resuscitation.
Ultrasound and Prenatal Diagnostic Procedures
- Ultrasound, fetal echocardiography, Doppler ultrasound and genetic sonography provide detailed images for fetal assessment
- Maternal blood tests and ultrasound screening for early detection of fetal and congenital abnormalities (birth defects)
- Prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal and genetic problems through amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS) and fetal blood sampling
Advanced Maternal and Fetal Care
- High-risk management for all complicated pregnancies to handle mothers and babies who develop high-risk conditions.
- Management of multiple pregnancies and any complications that may arise and are handled in our Multiple Birth Center in the Center for Prenatal Pediatrics.
- Management of maternal medical complications such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiac disease, seizure disorders and thyroid disease
- Fetal therapeutic procedures such as in utero fetal blood transfusion, multifetal reduction procedures or the placement of a catheter for an obstructed fetal bladder.
- Formal genetic consultation for individual and family history risk assessment and discussion of prenatal screening and diagnostic options such as amniocentesis and CVS
- Pre-conception counseling to review individual medical history and discuss potential obstetrical challenges