Columbia Ob/Gyn takes early lead in publishing on COVID-19 in Ob/Gyn patients
New York City has been the epicenter of the coronavirus, or COVID-19, crisis in the United States, with rapidly rising infection rates and a busy healthcare system working hard to meet the needs of the new influx of patients.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center has taken a leading role in publishing on COVID-19, with the goal of disseminating vital information as quickly and broadly as possible.
Their research to date, listed below, covers broad topics from the impact of the new ASRM guidelines on fertility patients during COVID-19, to the importance of universal screening, to how the virus impacts pregnant patients.
- Influence of Race and Ethnicity on Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection Rates and Clinical Outcomes in Pregnancy. Emeruwa, Ukachi N. MD, MPH; Spiegelman, Jessica MD; Ona, Samsiya MD; Kahe, Ka MD, ScD; Miller, Russell S. MD; Fuchs, Karin M. MD, MHA; Aubey, Janice J. MD, MPH; Booker, Whitney MD; D'Alton, Mary E. MD; Friedman, Alexander M. MD, MPH; Aziz, Aleha MD, MPH; Sutton, Desmond MD; Purisch, Stephanie E. MD; Goffman, Dena MD; Melamed, Alexander MD, MPH; Gyamfi-Bannerman, Cynthia MD, MSc. Obstetrics & Gynecology: July 21, 2020. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000004088
- Associations Between Built Environment, Neighborhood Socioeconomic Status, and SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Pregnant Women in New York City. Ukachi N. Emeruwa, MD, MPH; Samsiya Ona, MD; Jeffrey L. Shaman, PhD; Amy Turitz, MD; Jason D. Wright, MD; Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, MD, MSc; Alexander Melamed, MD, MPH. JAMA. June 18, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.11370.
- Field-deployable, rapid diagnostic testing of saliva samples for SARS-CoV-2. Shan Wei, Esther Kohl, Alexandre Djandji, Stephanie Morgan, Susan Whittier, Mahesh Mansukhani, Raymond Yeh, Juan Carlos Alejaldre, Elaine Fleck, Mary D'Alton, Yousin Suh, Zev Williams. MedRxiv. 2020 June 16. doi: 10.1101/2020.06.13.20129841.
- Telehealth Uptake Into Prenatal Care and Provider Attitudes During the COVID-19 Pandemic in New York City: A Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis. Nigel Madden, Ukachi N Emeruwa, Alexander M Friedman, Janice J Aubey, Aleha Aziz, Caitlin D Baptiste, Jaclyn M Coletta, Mary E D'Alton, Karin M Fuchs, Dena Goffman, Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, Sneha Kondragunta, Nicole Krenitsky, Russell S Miller, Chia-Ling Nhan-Chang, Ashanda M Saint Jean, Hemangi P Shukla, Lynn L Simpson, Erica S Spiegel, Hope S Yates, Noelia Zork, Samsiya Ona. Am J Perinatol. 2020 Jun 9. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1712939.
- COVID-19’s Impact on Genetics at One Medical Center in New York. Elaine M. Pereira MD, Columbia University Clinical Genetics Professionals including Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Consortia Members: Stephanie Galloway MS, CGC, Jessica L. Giordano MS, CGC, Nina Harkavy MS, CGC, Rupinder Kakar MS, Erica Spiegel MS, CGC & Ronald J. Wapner MD, and Wendy K. Chung MD, PhD. Genet Med (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41436-020-0857-7
- Direct diagnostic testing of SARS-CoV-2 without the need for prior RNA extraction. Shan Wei, Esther Kohl, Alexandre Djandji, Stephanie Morgan, Susan Whittier, Mahesh Mansukhani, Eldad Hod, Mary D'Alton, Yousin Suh, Zev Williams. MedRxiv. 2020 June 2. doi: 10.1101/2020.05.28.20115220.
- Symptoms and Critical Illness Among Obstetric Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infection. Maria Andrikopoulou, Nigel Madden, Timothy Wen, Janice J Aubey, Aleha Aziz, Caitlin D Baptiste, Noelle Breslin, Mary E DʼAlton, Karin M Fuchs, Dena Goffman, Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, Dara N Matseoane-Peterssen, Russell S Miller, Jean-Ju Sheen, Lynn L Simpson, Desmond Sutton, Noelia Zork, Alexander M Friedman. Obstet Gynecol. 2020 May 27. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000003996.
- A hospital-based COVID-19 abortion case in the early phase of the pandemic. Nancy Z. Fang, Paula M. Castaño, Anne Davis. Contraception. 2020 May 19. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2020.05.005
- Rapid Development and Implementation of a Covid-19 Telehealth Clinic for Obstetric Patients. Jessica Spiegelman, MD, Nicole Krenitsky, MD, MBA, Sbaa Syeda, MD, Desmond Sutton, MD & Leslie Moroz, MD, MS. New England Journal of Medicine Catalyst. 2020 May 15. DOI: 10.1056/CAT.20.0170
- Telehealth for High-Risk Pregnancies in the Setting of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Aziz A, Zork N, Aubey JJ, Baptiste CD, D'Alton ME, Emeruwa UN, Fuchs KM, Goffman D, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, Haythe JH, LaSala AP, Madden N, Miller EC, Miller RS, Monk C, Moroz L, Ona S, Ring LE, Sheen JJ, Spiegel ES, Simpson LL1 Yates HS, Friedman AM. Am J Perinatol. 2020 May 12. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1712121.
- Universal Screening for SARS-CoV-2 in Women Admitted for Delivery. Desmond Sutton, MD, Karin Fuchs, MD, MHA, Mary D’Alton, MD, Dena Goffman, MD. New England Journal of Medicine (2020).
- COVID-19 infection among asymptomatic and symptomatic pregnant women: Two weeks of confirmed presentations to an affiliated pair of New York City hospitals. Noelle Breslin, Caitlin Baptiste, Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, Russell Miller, Rebecca Martinez, Kyra Bernstein, Laurence Ring, Ruth Landau, Stephanie Purisch, Alexander M. Friedman, Karin Fuchs, Desmond Sutton, Maria Andrikopoulou, Devon Rupley, Jean-Ju Sheen, Janice Aubey, Noelia Zork, Leslie Moroz, Mirella Mourad, Ronald Wapner, Lynn L. Simpson, Mary E. D’Alton, Dena Goffman. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM (2020).
- The emotional impact of the ASRM guidelines on fertility patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Jenna Turocy, MD, Alex Robles, MD, Daniel Hercz, MD, Mary D’Alton, MD, Eric J. Forman, MD, Zev Williams, MD, PhD. medRxiv (2020).
- COVID-19 in pregnancy: early lessons. Breslin N, Baptiste C, Miller R, Fuchs K, Goffman D, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, D’Alton M, COVID-19 in pregnancy: early lessons, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM (2020), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajogmf.2020.100111.