Sinem Karipcin, MD
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology at CUMC
Inspired by a lecture in her fourth year of medical school, Sinem Karipcin, MD combined her scientific passion for genetics and endocrinology and the emotional appeal of women's health care to specialize in reproductive endocrinology. Board-certified in both Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Dr. Karipcin completed her fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at New York Presbyterian - Weill Cornell Medicine after completing her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Texas at Galveston. After her fellowship, Dr. Karipcin established a successful practice in Miami and she is among the nation’s top-ranked fertility doctors.
In addition to being an exceptional clinician, Dr. Karipcin has been involved in innovative clinical research in her field at Yale, Harvard and Cornell. She published in the field’s foremost peer-reviewed journals and presented at national and international conferences. Dr. Karipcin is an expert in decreasing the risk of genetically heritable diseases and has been an invited speaker in national and international meetings to speak about her area of expertise. She has ongoing research in the field of pre-implantation genetic testing (PGT).
Dr. Karipcin is an active member of and abstract reviewer for the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the Society of Reproductive Investigation and the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society (PCRS). She has chaired the PCRS 2019 Awards Committee. She serves as an ad-hoc reviewer for Human Reproduction and was awarded the top reviewer certificate in 2018 for her excellent contribution. She has also received multiple honors and teaching awards. Before joining Columbia University, she was a clinical assistant professor at University of Miami and Florida International University.
Schedule an Appointment
- Medicare Managed Care
- NY Signature
- NYP Employee Plan
- Signature Administrators
- Student Health
- Great West
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Access (Exchange)
- Gatekeeper (Exchange)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Pathway (Exchange)
- Local 1199
Oxford Health Plans
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Compass (Exchange)
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, Ankara University Medical School
- Residency: University of Texas Medical Branch Hospital
- Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Honors & Awards
- Top Reviewer Certificate, Human Reproduction, March 2018
- Resident and Fellow Research Night Outstanding Fellow Paper Award, New York Obstetrical Society, April 2014
- Outstanding Achievement in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility(REI) Award , University of Texas Medical Branch(UTMB) at Galveston, June 2012
- Ob&Gyn Golden Apple Teaching Award, UTMB at Galveston, June 2011
- Prize Winner Abstract in Endometriosis category, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL), November 2010
- Resident Research Day, Outstanding Research Achievement Award , UTMB at Galveston, May 2010
- Ob&Gyn Golden Apple Teaching Award, UTMB at Galveston, June 2010
- Ob&Gyn Golden Apple Teaching Award, UTMB in Galveston, June 2009
- Elias RT, Pereira N, Karipcin FS, Rosenwaks Z, Spandorfer SD., Impact of newly diagnosed endometrial polyps during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation on IVF outcomes. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2015 Jan 8. pii: S1553-4650(15)00008-4.
- Borahay MA, Lu F, Ozpolat B, Tekedereli I, Gurates B, Karipcin S, Kilic G. Müllerian Inhibiting Substance Suppresses Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis and Autophagy in Endometriosis Cells In Vitro. ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013; 2013:361489.
- Karipcin FS, Moragianni VA, Milette B, Kinzer DR, Thornton KL, Barrett B, Penzias A. Effect of Steroid and Antibiotic Treatment during Assisted Hatching on IVF Outcomes. Human Fertility. 2012;15(4):205-9.
- Karipcin FS, Hossain A , Phelps. JY. A Legal-Ethical Analysis of Reproductive Endocrinologists’ Right to Refuse Ovulation Induction to Patients with Diminished Ovarian Reserve.
- Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. 2011 Nov;28(11):1105-9.
- Borahay MA, Harirah HM, Olson G, Kilic GS, Karipcin S, Hankins GDV. Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation, Hemoperitoneum, and Reversible Ischemic Neurological Deficit Complicating Anaphylaxis to Prophylactic Antibiotics during Ceserean Delivery: A Case Report and Review of Literature. American Journal of Perinatology Reports 2011; 1(1): 015-020.
- Karipcin FS, Ensari TA, Kayisli UA, Guzel E, Kallen CB, Seli E. The mRNA-Binding Protein HuR is Regulated in the Menstrual Cycle and Repressed in Ectopic Endometrium. Reproductive Sciences 2011;18(2):145-55.
- Karipcin FS, Hossain A., Phelps JY. Liability Risks Associated with Mismanagement of Sperm Specimens. The Journal of Clinical Embryology 2010,12(4): 29-32.