Provider Resources During COVID-19
Guidelines, Research, and Safety Information
Below are up-to-date provider resources for caring for Ob/Gyn patients during the COVID-19 pandemic from the team at Columbia Women's Health.
For more information, visit our COVID-19 response page.
Guidelines for Patients and Providers
- Interim Guidelines for Suspected and Confirmed COVID-19 for Obstetrical Services: Labor & Delivery, Post-partum Units, Well-Baby Nurseries, Antepartum Units, and Ambulatory Care) - June 24, 2020
- Interim Guidelines for Suspected and Confirmed COVID-19 in the Neonatal ICU - April 20, 2020 (replaces Interim Guidance April 3, 2020)
- FAQ for COVID-19 Isolation
- NYP Labor and Delivery Visitor Guidance - June 19, 2020
Patient, Provider, and Staff Safety
How are we keeping our team and our patients safe during the COVID-19 crisis? These are some of the new policies our department has enacted. Learn more about the departmental response to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Research from Columbia Ob/Gyn
- COVID-19 in pregnancy: early lessons AJOG MFM. Breslin N, Baptiste C, Miller R, Fuchs K, Goffman D, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, D’Alton M. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM (2020), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajogmf.2020.100111.
- COVID-19 infection among asymptomatic and symptomatic pregnant women: Two weeks of confirmed presentations to an affiliated pair of New York City hospitals. Noelle Breslin, Caitlin Baptiste, Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, Russell Miller, Rebecca Martinez, Kyra Bernstein, Laurence Ring, Ruth Landau, Stephanie Purisch, Alexander M. Friedman, Karin Fuchs, Desmond Sutton, Maria Andrikopoulou, Devon Rupley, Jean-Ju Sheen, Janice Aubey, Noelia Zork, Leslie Moroz, Mirella Mourad, Ronald Wapner, Lynn L. Simpson, Mary E. D’Alton, Dena Goffman. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM (2020).
- A guide for urogynecologic patient care utilizing telemedicine during the COVID-19 pandemic: review of existing evidence. Grimes CL, Balk EM, Crisp CC, Antosh DD, Murphy M, Halder GE, Jeppson PC, Weber LeBrun EE, Raman S, Kim-Fine S, Iglesia C, Dieter AA, Yurteri-Kaplan L, Adam G, Meriwether KV. Int Urogynecol J. 2020 Apr 27: 1-27.
- The emotional impact of the ASRM guidelines on fertility patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Jenna Turocy, MD, Alex Robles, MD, Daniel Hercz, MD, Mary D’Alton, MD, Eric J. Forman, MD, Zev Williams, MD, PhD. medRxiv (2020).
- Universal Screening for SARS-CoV-2 in Women Admitted for Delivery. Desmond Sutton, MD, Karin Fuchs, MD, MHA, Mary D’Alton, MD, Dena Goffman, MD. New England Journal of Medicine (2020).
- Telehealth for High-Risk Pregnancies in the Setting of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Aziz A, Zork N, Aubey JJ, Baptiste CD, D'Alton ME, Emeruwa UN, Fuchs KM, Goffman D, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, Haythe JH, LaSala AP, Madden N, Miller EC, Miller RS, Monk C, Moroz L, Ona S, Ring LE, Sheen JJ, Spiegel ES, Simpson LL, Yates HS, Friedman AM. Am J Perinatol. 2020 May 12. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1712121.
- Rapid Development and Implementation of a Covid-19 Telehealth Clinic for Obstetric Patients. Jessica Spiegelman, MD, Nicole Krenitsky, MD, MBA, Sbaa Syeda, MD, Desmond Sutton, MD & Leslie Moroz, MD, MS. New England Journal of Medicine Catalyst. 2020 May 15. DOI: 10.1056/CAT.20.0170
- A hospital-based COVID-19 abortion case in the early phase of the pandemic. Nancy Z. Fang, Paula M. Castaño, Anne Davis. Contraception. 2020 May 19. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2020.05.005
- Symptoms and Critical Illness Among Obstetric Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infection. Maria Andrikopoulou, Nigel Madden, Timothy Wen, Janice J Aubey, Aleha Aziz, Caitlin D Baptiste, Noelle Breslin, Mary E DʼAlton, Karin M Fuchs, Dena Goffman, Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, Dara N Matseoane-Peterssen, Russell S Miller, Jean-Ju Sheen, Lynn L Simpson, Desmond Sutton, Noelia Zork, Alexander M Friedman. Obstet Gynecol. 2020 May 27. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000003996.
- Direct diagnostic testing of SARS-CoV-2 without the need for prior RNA extraction. Shan Wei, Esther Kohl, Alexandre Djandji, Stephanie Morgan, Susan Whittier, Mahesh Mansukhani, Eldad Hod, Mary D'Alton, Yousin Suh, Zev Williams. MedRxiv. 2020 June 2. doi: 10.1101/2020.05.28.20115220.
- COVID-19’s Impact on Genetics at One Medical Center in New York. Elaine M. Pereira MD, Columbia University Clinical Genetics Professionals including Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Consortia Members: Stephanie Galloway MS, CGC, Jessica L. Giordano MS, CGC, Nina Harkavy MS, CGC, Rupinder Kakar MS, Erica Spiegel MS, CGC & Ronald J. Wapner MD, and Wendy K. Chung MD, PhD. Genet Med (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41436-020-0857-7
- Telehealth Uptake Into Prenatal Care and Provider Attitudes During the COVID-19 Pandemic in New York City: A Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis. Nigel Madden, Ukachi N Emeruwa, Alexander M Friedman, Janice J Aubey, Aleha Aziz, Caitlin D Baptiste, Jaclyn M Coletta, Mary E D'Alton, Karin M Fuchs, Dena Goffman, Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, Sneha Kondragunta, Nicole Krenitsky, Russell S Miller, Chia-Ling Nhan-Chang, Ashanda M Saint Jean, Hemangi P Shukla, Lynn L Simpson, Erica S Spiegel, Hope S Yates, Noelia Zork, Samsiya Ona. Am J Perinatol. 2020 Jun 9. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1712939.
- Field-deployable, rapid diagnostic testing of saliva samples for SARS-CoV-2. Shan Wei, Esther Kohl, Alexandre Djandji, Stephanie Morgan, Susan Whittier, Mahesh Mansukhani, Raymond Yeh, Juan Carlos Alejaldre, Elaine Fleck, Mary D'Alton, Yousin Suh, Zev Williams. MedRxiv. 2020 June 16. doi: 10.1101/2020.06.13.20129841.
- Associations Between Built Environment, Neighborhood Socioeconomic Status, and SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Pregnant Women in New York City. Ukachi N. Emeruwa, MD, MPH; Samsiya Ona, MD; Jeffrey L. Shaman, PhD; Amy Turitz, MD; Jason D. Wright, MD; Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, MD, MSc; Alexander Melamed, MD, MPH. JAMA. June 18, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.11370.
- Influence of Race and Ethnicity on Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection Rates and Clinical Outcomes in Pregnancy. Emeruwa, Ukachi N. MD, MPH; Spiegelman, Jessica MD; Ona, Samsiya MD; Kahe, Ka MD, ScD; Miller, Russell S. MD; Fuchs, Karin M. MD, MHA; Aubey, Janice J. MD, MPH; Booker, Whitney MD; D'Alton, Mary E. MD; Friedman, Alexander M. MD, MPH; Aziz, Aleha MD, MPH; Sutton, Desmond MD; Purisch, Stephanie E. MD; Goffman, Dena MD; Melamed, Alexander MD, MPH; Gyamfi-Bannerman, Cynthia MD, MSc. Obstetrics & Gynecology: July 21, 2020. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000004088
- COVID-SAFE: Strategies for safeguarding your outpatient clinical practice against COVID-19. Mary L Rosser, MD, PhD. OBG Manag. 2020 September;32(9):31-34, 43, e1, e2 | doi: 10.12788/obgm.0030
- Outcomes of Neonates Born to Mothers With Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection at a Large Medical Center in New York City. Dani Dumitriu, MD, PhD; Ukachi N. Emeruwa, MD, MPH; Erin Hanft, MD; Grace V. Liao, MD; Elizabeth Ludwig, MD; Lauren Walzer, DO; Brittany Arditi, MD, MSCR; Minna Saslaw, MD; Maria Andrikopoulou, MD, PhD; Tessa Scripps, MD; Caitlin Baptiste, MD; Adrita Khan, MD; Noelle Breslin, MD; David Rubenstein, MD; Lynn L. Simpson, MD; Margaret H. Kyle, BA; Alexander M. Friedman, MD, MPH; Daniel S. Hirsch, MD; Russell S. Miller, MD; Cristina R. Fernández, MD, MPH; Karin M. Fuchs, MD, MHA; M. Kathleen Keown, MD; Melissa E. Glassman, MD, MPH, IBCLC; Ashley Stephens, MD; Archana Gupta, MD; Sally Sultan, MD; Caroline Sibblies, MD; Susan Whittier, PhD; Wanda Abreu, MD, IBCLC; Francis Akita, MD; Anna Penn, MD, PhD; Mary E. D’Alton, MD; Jordan S. Orange, MD, PhD; Dena Goffman, MD; Lisa Saiman, MD, MPH; Melissa S. Stockwell, MD, MPH; Cynthia Gyamfi-Bannerman, MD, MSc. JAMA Pediatr. Published online October 12, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2020.4298
- Where Have All the Emergencies Gone? The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on obstetric and gynecologic procedures and consults at a New York City hospital. Emily E Spurlin, Esther S Han, Elisabeth R Silver, Benjamin L May, Nicholas P Tatonetti, Myles A Ingram, Zhezhen Jin, Chin Hur, Arnold P Advincula, Hye-Chun Hur. JAMA Pediatr. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2020 Nov 25;S1553-4650(20)31130-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jmig.2020.11.012.